Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Surfing and such

I tried surfing the other day. It did not go well. However, I was very happy because I got to wear a wet suit, and I have never worn a wet suit before. I felt like I looked very, very cool.
Then, I dragged my surfboard into the water, and did not feel very cool anymore when i repeatedly got whacked in the back/gut/head with the surfboard. And also almost drowned. That is because I am a very bad swimmer. And I can't hold my breath underwater unless I seriously consciously think about it, which of course I can't when I am trying to not fall off/get punched by this giant, very hard object. That being said, I never even stood up on it. I think I was able to "boogie board" at one point for a second, but that's about it.

I presented my writing for the first time in creative writing class. That was a somewhat terrifying experience. In creative writing classes here you bring in 20 copies of your work and hand them out and everyone reads silently while you wait in at your desk, horrified, for your classmates to finish. I always thought it was terrifying to read my work outloud, but i'm thinking this might have been worse.
Nevertheless, people seemed to like my story. It was about a guy slowly getting obsessed with this neurotic girl at a grocery store. A boy in my class came up to me and started talking to me about it afterwards. He said he worked at a grocery store and could relate.

I'm going to New Zealand at the end of this month with this girl I met named Anne. I like her a lot for many reasons including the fact that she rented a piano for her room for the semester because she's that good and couldn't go without one, that she is an amazing cook and willing to make me vegan food, and that she likes nerdy board games. About New Zealand I am most excited about the fact that we shall be going ZORBING which is when you go in one of those giant clear plastic human-size hamster ball thingies and roll around. I'm so psyched! POSSIBLY skydiving too...

No comments: